Thursday, October 20, 2011

One year ago

Kevin and I were moving to FL!!!! I can't believe it has been 1 year already!! So I will leave you with,
The Story of Our Big Move

On Tuesday 10/19/10  - Kevin & I left Norfolk and drove all the way to St. Georges South Carolina. We were really trying to make it to the Georgia state line, when a peg from the dolly that Kevin's car was hooked up to, came out, and the ramp was scraping the ground causing sparks. So we pulled over. Kevin found a stick and shoved it in the spot where the peg should've been, and it worked well. That night at our hotel, Kevin called the U-Haul company. They told us they would be out between 7 & 8am.

9am came the next morning, and never heard from U-Haul. So we got on the phone and they said that their closest U-Haul place was 90 miles away. Well we waited 4 hours and they finally came with a new dolly. So we got back on the road at 11am. We finally arrived to Mayport by a little after 3pm. Once we arrived we went to the housing office to get the keys to our military housing. Who knew we'd have to go through so much paper work. The fun part I get to look forward to are hurricanes, and evacuating by myself if Kevin is out at sea. Hopefully that won't happen.  *fingers crossed*

So we get to our apartment, and right across the street is the community center. So the housing representative takes us over there and shows us around. There's a pool table, ping pong table, computers to use the internet etc. Kevin saw a guy playing pool, goes up to him and says,"Want to make $25?" The guy responds,"Heck yeah!!" Kevin replies,"We just arrived, and need help moving our stuff in." The guy replies,"I use to do this for a living before I joined the Navy."

So after 2 and a half hours of the 3 of us moving our stuff, we went and bought him dinner too.

Kevin reported for his 1st day of work on Monday. He went in for about 2 hours then came home. After a little while, he got a phone call from his sponsor, and turns out that his ship pulled in early and Kevin has to be on the ship as soon as possible. So Kevin grabbed his sea bag and raced around opening boxes to find his clothes. After that, he says,"I need a haircut." So I gave him a haircut, and off he went. He'll be out to sea for a week. I can expect this until he goes out to sea for deployment.

So I've been busy unpacking and getting us settled in. As hard as it was to get a certain someone to pack, he isn't exactly unpacking either....so I put all of his boxes in the second bedroom.

Since Kevin's been gone, I really noticed how much the apartment creeks....especially at night.

p.s. We don't have Wawa's...but we do have Dunkin' Donuts!!!





If you're interested in reading about our "firsts" in FL, check out my old blog -  www.christine-lifeasanavywife.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment