Monday, March 21, 2011

Cosmetology License Drama

     As most of you know, for the past few (and by few I mean 4-5 months) months I've been trying to transfer my cosmetology license from the state of Virginia to the state of Florida, and I've learned that the state of Florida does not like people from other states coming and "taking jobs away from the Florida natives." This process began by me calling the state board of FL and being told to print out an application (and let me tell you, there's more than 5 applications on their website), mail it in, get a letter of certification from the state in which I am currently license (which would be VA), and take their 4 hour HIV course, and mail in the certificate from the course. Well I did these things, called FL back to find out that the application, that I'd been told to fill out, was the wrong application and I needed to mail in a fee of  $105.00, and needed the letter of certification from the state that I was originally licensed....why didn't they tell me that the 1st time I called? So I contacted the state of DE to mail the letter of certification on the state of FL, paid the fee and took the 4 hour HIV course. So I called the state of FL to see if they had received the fee, my certificate from the HIV course, and the letter of certification from DE. They had received all but the letter of certification from DE, but continued to tell me to check back the next week, because it may take a week to be processed into the system. So I continued to call FL back, and they still never received the letter of certification. Eventually it reached a month from the time DE mailed out the letter. So I called DE back and they said that they could mail the letter of certification to me and then I could mail the letter of certification to the state of FL myself. So they mailed out the letter of certification to me, and a month later, I never received it. So I called DE back, and said I never received the letter of certification. Then they questioned me about the letter of certification they mailed to FL. I told them what FL tells me,"We have not received it. If we had received it, it would be scanned into our system and we would be able to pull it up on our computer."  I really wish DE and FL would call each other so they can figure that one out, instead of me being in the middle of that. Oh did I mention I had to pay a fee to get this letter of certification mailed to FL?? While I was still on the phone with DE they tell me that the letter they had sent to me, was returned and said "Undeliverable." DE also said the letter was mailed out to me February 11 and they received it back March 1st. Which I still do not understand because we get mail every other day, and why the heck would it take that long for mail to get returned?
     Anyway, so I asked for DE's fax number, and sent them a copy of my address from a bill that was mailed to me. Then I received the copy of the letter of certification the next week. Thank You DE!!!! I was not allowed to open the letter of certification, if I did I would have had to pay a $300 fee!! So I went to my local post office, mailed this magical letter of certification,  certified mail, so someone has to sign for it. I was given a tracking number, and have been tracking it daily (this was just last week 3/14-3/19). Well the letter of certification was delivered March 17th, 2011 at 7:57AM. So I called the state board of FL this morning, and the woman told me "Check back on Wednesday because it may take a week  for the letter of certification to be processed into the system. 

*SIGH* 

So the waiting game continues.....


I'm doing my best to continue to be patient, and to keep myself occupied until Wednesday.
However I have a feeling they're going to tell me, "Check back next week."

3 comments:

  1. Hoping to hear good news about this in a week. Crazy drama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - forgot to put from Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesson learned more patience on your side. :) I think for all others experiencing similar thing, visit your state’s website for the requirements and list down all questions you have in mind to avoid similar fate before calling them.

    ReplyDelete